My morning at the racetrack
I spent a few hours at Richmond International Raceway this morning driving a 500HP car around. I did a session from The Racing School (christmas present -- thanks, dear!). Fun times. I'm not actually a Nascar fan, but I do like me some vehicles.
I did 5 laps as a passenger with a pro driver, and 15 laps on my own, noone else in the car.
- The cars are fast, loud, etc., as they should be
- You can drive the car without a co-driver, and kind of go at your own pace (whether it be fast or slow)
- I felt safe the whole time
- They did a good job pointing out the lines and generally managing the on-track time
- Nice staff all around
Things that would make it better:
- I could have used way more laps, especially on a short track like RIR
- I have a motorcycle helmet with a camera that I couldn't wear -- they make money off the pictures they take of you, but you should really be able to film/shoot on your own I think and get a digital copy of the photos they take of you, not just a digital print for $15
- Not the cheapest thing -- but hey tell your friends and I guess that's the solution
In any event, I recommend it.
P.S. Fun fact: The cars are actually cambered and balanced for the all-left track -- if you just let the wheel go they go left by themselves.